Muszyna lies in the valley of the River Poprad and its tributaries: Szczawnik and Muszyna, on an old trade route – the so-called Hungarian Route. In the Middle Ages it was part of the ”Muszyna state” – the estate of the Kraków bishops which was administered by the Starosts. The castle ruins, the seats of the Starosts and the Startost’s Manor from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries are monuments of the past. In the fifteenth century many Lemkos settled in the town. Muszyna’s Market is a local curiosity – it is triangular, with the Chapels of Florian and St John of Nepomuk, dating from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries at its ends. Kościelna Street with nineteenth-century bourgeois townhouses runs from the Market to the Baroque fortified St John’s Church towering the settlement. The local regional museum in a former guesthouse displays mementoes of the Starosts, Lemko and Jewish artefacts, and works of self-taught artists. Since 1930, Muszyna has enjoyed the status of a spa town (having two sanatoriums: Revita and Korona). There are plenty of green spaces around, including a park at the foot of the castle hill, with a gym, a bike lane and a pump room offering water from the Józef spring. The town has a special spa district – Zapopradzie, in which there is a park with the Antoni pump room pavilion on Zdrojowa Street. In addition, there is a sports and recreation centre, a skatepark, as well as the Gardens of Senses with a viewing tower, some 11.5 m high, offering a view of the town and its surroundings.